Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Tania Elias Calles

March 3, 2010

Aloha Scuttlebutt,

My husband and I are cruisers, former racing sailors, enjoying the sun & breezes on the Pacific coast of Mexico. Our boat/home is currently in La Cruz, center of the action for the ongoing MEXORC series.

Today’s excitement was the arrival of Tania Elias Calles, who sailed a laser from Cabo San Lucas to Puerto Vallarta. This amazing young woman is just 17 years old, and hopes to represent Mexico in the 2012 Olympics. Her crossing of the Sea of Cortez to set a Guinness World Record had a clear objective: “por mi, por Mexico” (for me, for Mexico). She’s hoping this brings attention and support for her goal to represent Mexico in the 2012 Olympics, and more coordinated support from the Mexican companies who help fund their journey to the event.

Watching her come in was a proud moment! Her big smile and triumphant thumbs-up to the supporting crowd said all we needed to know. I could feel my old dinghy racing past creeping up as I watched her come in with my daughters- it was truly inspiring.

Thanks,

Behan Gifford





Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home