Monday, February 26, 2007

Hockey and Sailing

It’s winter, and for some parts of the country, Scuttlebutt readers are patiently waiting for spring to come. After chatting this week with Ken and Brad Read about their hockey playing, we then checked in with the “Bo Jackson” of sailing… Hank Lammens.

Hank played professional hockey for 5 Years with the NY Islanders, the Canadian Olympic Team, and the Ottawa Senators. In sailing, he was 2-time World Champion in the Finn class and is presently campaigning an E-22.

Hank on hockey and sailing: “I am Canadian, so Hockey was clearly the first sport for me. While there aren't enough hours in the day to play anymore, I do spend some time on the pond with my kids. I found playing Hockey and sailing Finns were very similar, both mentally and physically. Learning how we prepared for Hockey made me more prepared for sailing and vice versa. I spent a lot of time on the stationary bike for skating, and I feel that directly translated to hiking in a Finn with 40ish lbs of water - plus I was disciplined to spend my time in the weight room.”

Hank’s advice to kids: “The way kids get committed to serious training at a young age, I hope it is for the right reasons. I sailed and played Hockey because I loved it, and not because I was going to win the Finn Gold Cup or play in the Montreal Forum (although these were dreams). I would spend hours on the pond by myself, or hours on end in my Laser with no visions of the Olympics, but I am sure all those hours helped me attain those levels. Can someone successfully compete in two sports today? I am sure they can if their personal trainers and sports physiologists don't get in the way. I think the desire of the athlete is paramount, not if they have the right class to sail (sorry couldn't resist).”

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home