Friday, December 19, 2008

Lower case

I contend that we all deal with varying degrees of laziness in writing online comms. Whether it be email, text, IM... most english teachers should be stunned. I am not saying it is right, just that it is a fact.

However, there still should be a miminal standard that we remain above. So what should be the minimal standard? Capitalization.

Whenever I receive an email completely in lower case, it creeps me out. Like I am a witness to someone's psychosis. Sentences end with a period and begin with an uppercase letter. There is some wiggle room, but when I see no capitaliztion, that's rambling.

Comments?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acceptable for one line replies only. -Nat

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... as someone who reads hundreds of news blurbs a week to edit a regional blog, I see some AMAZINGLY hideous writing.

Every sentence a separate "paragraph", so continuity and smoothness are defenestrated. Egregious overuse of ellipses..... and hypens -- instead of commas and semi-colons...

And starting sentences with AND...

You would think that people that post data and/or write for a living, would have at least a 9th grade grasp of basic grammar.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

YOU ARE COMPLETELY RIGHT. AND IT ARE NEVERTHELESS THIS WAY SIMPLE. ENGLISH ARE NOT MY MOTHER LANGUAGE, BUT I USE SIMPLY A TRANSLATION MACHINE. WE LIVE FINALLY IN THE DIGITAL ERA. TO PAY ATTENTION WE OR IT USE. AS EVERYONE THAT DOES, NO PROBLEM.
And for your information: english = English; miminal = minimal and capitaliztion = capitalization.

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. The way I was taught is so ingrained that I can spot a typo from 50'. Like the second use of capitalization under the picture. Having worked in the ad game, I know that mistakes cost money. Anyway, enjoy receiving your missives diurnally. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home