Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Not sailing the last race

When Mauricio Santa Cruz recently won the 2007 J/24 Worlds, he did so by not having to sail in the last race. Because the regatta was scored with a drop race, and because no one could beat him if he used the final race as his drop, Santa Cruz and his team opted not to race, and headed in for an early celebration. I also had this option after leading a National Championship, and I chose to do the same. After battling through the strain of a major regatta, it felt so good to have some calm, to be by ourselves, and to enjoy the moment.

Wondering how others would handle the situation, this week’s Scuttlebutt Poll asked “When leading a regatta with a drop race, do you sail in the final race if you have already mathematically won the event?” I must admit that the Scuttlebutt readers caught me off guard with their response, which said that 64% would sail in the last race. The comments submitted defend both positions, but the majority of the voters say to stay. When I sat out of the last race, I felt that I had earned it, and that my heart wouldn’t be into sailing the final race. When any boat sits out of a race, the standings are conceivably affected, as they are now a lost point that might have changed the score totals within the fleet. Would I do it again? Not if I sensed it would offend others, but it does seem like a lose-lose decision, as by sailing the final race, you are also affecting it. - Craig Leweck, Scuttleblog

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home