Tuesday, August 01, 2006

More Hate (for OD racing)

(Continued from previous post on Scuttleblog)

I am invariably doing something wrong, as they wouldn't sell gelcoat in a can if their intention was to have someone like me brush it on, only to learn later that it did not harden. I have applied it twice to the Naples Sabot blades, and have wiped it off twice with acetone. I am now mixing smoking hot batches, and then applying the PVA over it to help with the cure.

The third coat seems to be curing, but my origninal estimate of 12-15 hours is long gone. So are the business trips I had planned this week. I wonder if the Naples Sabot class thought there would be any problems when they chose to change the measurement templates. Given that there was no mailing to the membership regarding the change, they either didn't think it would be a problem, or they hoped they could sneak this one through. For me, they were wrong on both accounts.

I had to laugh when I read the letter from By Baldridge in Issue 2149:

"With regard to Sabot Blade remeasurement. When Optimist Class blades and other parts are measured at a USODA event, they are stamped and may be used without new measurement at subsequent regattas. The blade dimensions were changed two years ago yet older blades with measurement stamps are grandfathered. This is part of the reason the Opti class is so big worldwide. "

Makes sense to me. - Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home