Friday, May 05, 2006

Almost like riding a bike

Rolling from my youth - where I constantly sailed - I joined the ranks of the sailmaking community where it was my job to sail and support the sport and my customers (btw... great job). Looking back on it, from age 9 to 33, I had done a lot of sailboat racing.

But for the last ten years, my days on the water have been limited. Raising a family accounts for many of the newly spent hours. When I do get out on the water, I lean toward the Snipe class where I rely on the experience gathered, and the smattering of respect earned, from the accomplishments in the 80's and 90's.

Last weekend I went racing for the first time in 2006, where one of the prominent California Snipe regattas was held in my local waters. I spent the Friday afternoon scrubbing the boat from lack of use - but what about me? Who scrubs me?

It turns out that racing boats is almost like riding a bike. There are only so many ways to approach a start line or a crowded weather mark, or maintain clear air on a downwind leg. After you have raced enough - and at one point figured out all these things - they tend to stick with you. Age and treachery do count in sailboat racing.

Unfortunately, there are a few things that tend to wane with neglect. Concentration is one of them. Confidence is another. Conditioning too. The three C's. All pretty important tools in the sailboat racer's toolbox. All three can only be gained by time on the water (though the later can be maintained in the gym - but I have never been a gym rat).

Winds were moderate and steady for the regatta, we landed on the podium, and were only beat by past or current national champions. Had it been really windy - or really light and shifty - surely one of the missing C's would have bit us. Heck, we even won the last race, which likely was the local fleets way to tease me to come out more often.

The kids are getting a bit older, so maybe getting out on the water will become easier. Time will tell, but it is nice to know that when I do get on the water, I can count on sailboat racing being 'almost like riding a bike.' - Craig Leweck

PS - I entered the regatta under my Scuttlebutt Sailing Club membership... nice!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home